Love is in the air and more likely than not you’re trying to figure out a little something to impress the object of your affection. With three simple ingredients and the twirl of a spoon you can make yourself a couple glasses of pure sexy: slightly sweet, slightly tart, a little floral, and hard to take your hands off. Plan to make twice as many as you think you’ll need; your night’s about to get interesting.
Equipment Needed: Champagne Flute, Citrus Juicer or Reamer, 2 Storage Containers w/ Lids (16 oz or larger), Strainer, Spoon, Bar Spoon or Swizzle Stick
- 1 oz blood orange juice (blood oranges are about $2.99/lb; 10 average sized oranges yield about 2 cups of juice)
- 1/2 oz St. Germain (about $30/750 ml)
- 3 oz sparkling wine (about $18/750 ml for the decent stuff)
- If you can find blood orange juice already pressed you’re golden. Otherwise, slice your oranges in half and use your juicing implement of choice to get to it. Squeeze the liquid into one of your storage containers until you’ve got enough for your crowd.
- You’re going to want to strain the pulp and skin pieces out; a chewy cocktail is not sexy. To do so, put a strainer over another storage container and pour the juice through it. Using the back of a spoon press down gently on the solids and get the remaining liquid out. Be careful not to press too hard, you’ll just be pushing the pulp back into the mix.
- Now to the drink itself. Take a champagne flute and pour in some sparkling wine. Add a splash of blood orange juice and top it off with the St. Germain. Stir very gently a couple of times so the flavors meld. Link arms, drink, and repeat.