Another game day favorite relies on some culinary short cuts to keep your hunger in check and you out of the kitchen. Thomas’ infamous faux-wings bring us fondly back to our Wings Over Ithaca days (or late nights more accurately). Nothing beats a good chicken finger and with a few well-doctored sauces you get to customize your favorite flavors in the same time you’d spend waiting for delivery.
Equipment Needed: Baking Sheet, Aluminum Foil, 4 Small Mixing Bowls, Fork, Spoon, Chef’s Knife, Cutting Board
Serving Suggestion: Family Style
Suggested Wine Pairing: Beer.
Suggested Beer Pairing: Whatever’s cold.
- 3-1.5 lb bags of breaded chicken tenders ($9.99/bag)
- 5 oz blue cheese ($6.99/lb)
- 1 lemon ($0.50/each)
- 1 C mayonnaise ($3.99/15 oz)
- 2 C BBQ sauce (about $4/18 oz)
- 2 TBSP Cajun seasoning (about $3/2.5 oz)
- 2 TBSP white vinegar ($1.99/32 oz)
- 3 TBSP apple cider vinegar, divided ($2.79/32 oz)
- 2 TBSP low-fat sour cream, divided ($2.79/16 oz)
- 2/3 C yellow mustard ($1.99/8 oz)
- 1/4 C honey ($4/12 oz)
- 1 C low-fat buttermilk ($2.19/QT)
- 1 C Frank’s Red Hot ($2.89/12 oz)
- 5 TBSP unsalted butter ($4.99/lb)
- 1/2 TSP garlic powder ($1.99/2.5 oz jar)
- Preheat the oven per the cooking instructions on the chicken tenders. Taking your foil, create 3 distinct sections on the baking sheet with sides high enough to keep the sauces from mixing.
- Put even amounts of chicken in each section and cook for the minimum time recommended (usually 15-20 minutes). Once cooked, cover with the sauces listed below or get crazy and create your own. Pop those saucy suckers back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes. Serve with any desired dippers.
Cajun BBQ Sauce Preparation:
- Combine 2 C of your favorite BBQ sauce with 2 TBSP Cajun seasoning, 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar and 1 TBSP sour cream. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
Honey Mustard Sauce Preparation:
- Combine 1 C mayo, 2/3 C mustard, 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar, 1/4 C honey, and 1 TBSP fresh ground pepper. Stir thoroughly.
Buffalo Sauce Preparation:
- Microwave 5 TBSP butter and stir in 1 C Frank’s Red Hot and 1 TBSP sour cream. Mix thoroughly.
Blue Cheese Dressing Preparation:
- Combine 1 C sour cream, 1 C buttermilk, 5 oz blue cheese, 3 TBSP white vinegar, 1-2 TBSP lemon juice, 1 TBSP fresh ground pepper, 1/2 TSP garlic powder, and a pinch of salt. Whisk briskly and adjust the flavors to taste.