Football is back, baby, and it’s time for some quick and easy crowd pleasers. We cut more corners than usual with pre-packaged salsa and cheese because no one wants to spend the afternoon in the kitchen when the game is on. Fear not, the flavor train is still on schedule. Ground turkey replaces beef to make you feel marginally better about putting down a plate or three.
Equipment Needed: Frying Pan, 2 Baking Sheets, Mixing Bowl, Fork, Wooden Spoon, Chef’s Knife, Cutting Board, Can Opener
Serving Suggestion: Caveman Style (every man, woman and child for themselves)
Suggested Wine Pairing: You should be drinking a draught or a tallboy.
Suggested Beer Pairing: Whatever’s cold.
- Our delicious gringo guacamole
- 2-9 oz bags tortilla chips ($3.59)
- 1 lb ground turkey ($5.99/lb)
- 1 medium onion ($0.99/lb)
- 2 jalapeño peppers ($2.99/lb)
- 1 can extra large black, pitted olives ($2.50/15 oz can)
- 3 cloves garlic ($2.99/lb)
- 1-2 C low-fat sour cream ($2.79/16 oz)
- 1 package shredded Mexican blend cheese ($3/8 oz)
- 1-16 oz jar salsa ($2.99)
- 6 canned chipotle peppers ($2/10 oz)
- 1 lime (about $0.33/each)
- 2 TBSP ground cumin ($3/2.5 oz)
- 1 TBSP dried oregano ($3/1.5 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and put your frying pan over medium heat. Coat the bottom of the pan evenly with olive oil.
- Mince the garlic and add it to the oil. Toss in the turkey, cumin and oregano with a healthy pinch of salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until browned (6-8 minutes).
- While the turkey is browning, dice the onion, mince the chipotle peppers and mix the two together. Wash and halve the jalapeños, remove the seeds and cut them into thin slices. Drain the olives and cut them into equally thin slices.
- Once the meat has cooked through stir in the onion mixture and any leftover sauce from the canned chipotles, squeeze in the juice of the lime, reduce to low heat and continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
- Line each backing sheet with chips and spoon the turkey mix over the top. Sprinkle on a health dose of cheese and put it in the oven until everything melds together (about 5 minutes).
- Once the cheese has melted spread a layer of sour cream, guacamole and salsa over each nacho pile, sprinkle the olives and jalapeños evenly throughout and devour.