Who knew this whole braising thing was easy? We did, that’s who. This Latin-flavored chicken is an easy FAF (fire and forget) recipe. The dark meat holds up well to extended cooking and is easy on the wallet to boot. Serve over rice or as a filling for tacos or burritos.
Equipment Needed: 3 QT Dutch Oven or Heavy Oven-proof Pot, Chef’s Knife, Cutting Board, 2 Forks
Serving Suggestion: Individual Plating
Suggested Wine Pairing: Sauvignon Blanc, Vinho Verde, Pinot Grigio
Suggested Beer Pairing: Negra Modelo, Dos Equis, Corona
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs ($2.99/lb)
- 1 medium onion ($0.99/lb)
- 3 cloves of garlic ($2.99/lb)
- 3 C chicken broth ($3.25/32 oz)
- 2 limes ($0.33/each)
- 2 TBSP smoked paprika ($4.50/2.3 oz jar)
- 2 TBSP dried oregano ($3/1.5 oz)
- 2 TBSP ground cumin ($3/2.5 oz)
- 1 TBSP cayenne pepper ($3/2 oz jar)
- Preheat your oven to 300°F.
- Wash and trim your chicken thighs but leave a little fat on for flavor. Cut your onion into quarters, mince the garlic and toss all three into the Dutch oven.
- Pour everything else in, halve your limes and wheeze the juice. Stir it all together and pop it in the oven for an hour or so. It’s done when you can pull the thighs apart easily with your forks. Keeping it in the pot, shred the pieces ’til they’re bite sized. ¡Buen provecho!
(There’s nothing else. Seriously, the recipe is that easy.)