Night and day. Black and white. Crosby and Bowie. Life is all about opposites and so is this salad. The greens bring the bitter, the oranges bring the sweetness and our honey vinaigrette ties the whole thing together.
Equipment Needed: Colander, Large Bowl, Small Bowl, Chef’s Knife, Cutting Board, Cheese Grater, Vegetable Peeler, Whisk (or) Fork
Serving Suggestion: Family Style
Suggested Wine Pairing: Chardonnay, Grüner Veltliner, Sauvignon Blanc
Suggested Beer Pairing: Hefeweizen, Pilsner, Lager, Belgian Whites
- 1 large carrot ($0.99/lb)
- 1 head radicchio (about $2.99/each)
- 3 bulbs Belgian endive ($3.99/lb)
- 3 medium oranges ($2.99/lb)
- 1 1/2 TBSP spicy brown mustard ($1.99/12 oz)
- 1 TBSP honey ($4.39/12 oz)
- 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil ($9.99/32 oz)
- 3 TBSP balsamic vinegar (about $6/17 oz bottle)
- 1 small shallot (about $3.99/lb)
- Peel and dice the shallot and toss it in your small bowl. Add the mustard, honey, vinegar and olive oil and whisk everything together.
- Give it a taste and add a little salt and pepper to make it sing. Keep it in a separate bowl and let everyone dress their own salad.
- This being a salad and all, the preparation will be pretty simple. Cut the radicchio head in half and remove the core. Cut the halves again and then into 1/2 inch slices and toss them into your colander.
- Cut the endive in half lengthwise and remove the core from those pieces as well. We kept these in halves but if you want smaller pieces go ahead and quarter these crosswise. Add to the colander, rinse and drain the greens. Once they’ve dried toss them in your bowl.
- Peel and wash the carrot then grate it into the bowl with your leafies.
- Peel the oranges and cut them in half crosswise (across the horizontal center of the fruit). Proceed to separate each of the sections and add them to the veggie bowl. Toss and serve with your dressing.