We got bored on a random Saturday and decided to see what would make a tasty quick pickle. As it turns out, carrots with a couple chili peppers does the trick quite nicely. Note that if you’re expecting something salty and sour like a traditional pickle you won’t find it here; these are sweeter-style pickles for lazy people. Feel free to spend all day sanitizing and boiling things over a hot stove if you want the other thing. Yeah, that’s what we thought.
Equipment Needed: 2 QT Pot with Lid, Wooden Spoon or Whisk, Chef’s Knife, Cutting Board, Measuring Cup, Airtight Container with Lid (e.g., Mason Jar or Swing Top Jar)
Serving Suggestion: Family Style
Servings: 12 ish
Suggested Wine Pairing: Whatever you’re drinking
Suggested Beer Pairing: Whatever you’re drinking
- 1 lb. baby carrots ($1.99/lb)
- 2 cloves of garlic ($2.99/lb)
- 1 jalapeño pepper ($1.99/lb)
- 2 serrano peppers ($1.99/lb)
- 1 C apple cider vinegar ($2.79/32 oz)
- 1 C sugar ($2.39/2 lb box)
- 1 1/2 TSP black peppercorns ($3.69/2.25 oz)
- 1 C water (free)
- Mix the sugar, vinegar and water in your pot and put over high heat, bringing it to a boil.
- While the brew is bubbling, peel and halve the garlic. Wash and halve the peppers; leave the seeds for more heat and remove them for less.
- Just as the vinegar mixture starts to boil add the garlic and peppers and let it go for another minute. Then throw in the carrots, remove the pot from the heat, cover and let it sit until it comes to room temperature. Throw the mix into your airtight container with a healthy dose of peppercorns and refrigerate it for at least an hour before serving.