This recipe was also the result of the same bored Saturday as the Peppery Pickled Carrots. Good by themselves, on chicken or turkey sandwiches, salads, go nuts. For an interesting twist, try using golden beets with apple cider vinegar.
Equipment Needed: 2 QT Pot with Lid, Wooden Spoon or Whisk, Chef’s Knife, Cutting Board, Measuring Cup
Serving Suggestion: Family Style
Servings: 12 ish
Suggested Wine Pairing: Whatever you’re drinking
Suggested Beer Pairing: Whatever you’re drinking
- 3 large beets ($0.99/lb)
- 1 clove of garlic ($2.99/lb)
- 1 TBSP ground mustard ($3.49/3 oz)
- 1 C red wine vinegar ($2.89/12 oz)
- 1 C sugar ($2.39/2 lb box)
- 1 TSP black peppercorns ($3.69/2.25 oz)
- 1 C water (free)
- Mix the sugar, vinegar, mustard and water in your pot and put over high heat, bringing it to a boil.
- While the brew is bubbling, peel your beets and slice them carefully with your mandoline or chef’s knife. Peel and halve the garlic.
- Just as the vinegar mixture starts to boil add the garlic and let it go for another minute. Stir in your beets, remove the pot from the heat, cover and let it sit until it comes to room temperature. Store it in an airtight container and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.