Not sure if you noticed lately but it’s pretty f**king hot out. This meteorological fact combined with our recent penchant for pre-made pizza dough has forced us to make quick and easy dinners. Take your taste buds to the Italian countryside (as we imagine it) with this no-brainer “flatbread”. To keep things simple we opted for artichoke spread as the sauce and some fresh mixed greens from our CSA to make us feel better about eating half a pizza each.
Equipment Needed: Baking Sheet or Pizza Pan or Pizza Stone, Chef’s Knife, Cutting Board, Serving Spoon
Serving Suggestion: Family Style
Servings: We can take down a flatbread each (half a pizza for you lay people), but this could serve up to 4 normal people.
Suggested Wine Pairing: Chianti, Montepulciano D’Abruzzo, Old Vine Zinfandel
Suggested Beer Pairing: Pilsner, Lager, Lighter Ales
- 1 pre-made ball of pizza dough (we used a garlic herb dough that suited us just fine)(about $1.99/package)
- 1/3 lb thinly sliced speck (you could also use prosciutto or any other cured meat you prefer)(about $16.99/lb)
- 4-6 oz Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (about $13.99/lb)
- 2 C spring lettuce mix ($3.89/5 oz package)
- 1/4 C flour ($1.89/2 lb)
- 1/4 – 1/2 C artichoke spread (you can just mince artichokes with olive oil if you can’t find this)(about $6/8 0z jar)
- 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar (about $6/17 oz bottle)
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Lay your speck out on the cutting board and slice it crosswise into 1/2 inch strips.
- On your baking sheet toss some flour down and spread out the pizza dough out until it’s about 1/4 inch thick (roughly as thick as a book of matches).
- Cut the dough in half and reshape in any way you prefer (we prefer ovals).
- Spread your artichoke dip evenly across the top of each piece and then layer the pieces of speck on top of that.
- Top everything off with as much Parmigiano Reggiano as your little heart desires and pop it in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the crust is crispy.
- When the pizza is done, spread about a cup of greens across the top of each. Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over all of it. Cut into manageable pieces and serve.