A poached egg on top of delicious vegetables you say? How novel! There’s no possible way that anyone has thought of this before. Wait, what? This is almost as played out as beet and goat cheese salad? Well guess what Mr. Fancypants, some combinations are awesome and are not to be f**ked with. So there. Grab yourself some fresh asparagus and artichokes (sorry, this is one time the canned ones won’t work) and get in there.
Equipment Needed: Baking Sheet, 3 QT Pot, Chef’s Knife, Cutting Board, Vegetable Peeler, Microplane, Spider or Slotted Spoon
Serving Suggestion: Family Style
Suggested Wine Pairing: Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Cava, Prosecco
Suggested Beer Pairing: Crisp Lagers, Pilsner, Witbier or Heffeweizen
- 1 lb asparagus ($3.99/lb)
- 4 large artichokes ($2.50/each)
- 1 egg ($2.79/dozen)
- 1/4 C Parmigiano Reggianno cheese (about $13.99/lb)
- 3 cloves garlic ($2.99/lb)
- 1 lemon ($0.50/each)
- 2 TBSP white vinegar ($1.99/32 oz)
- 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil, divided ($8.99/32 oz)
- Preheat your oven to 400° F
- Thoroughly rinse your asparagus and snap off the woody ends. Place them on the baking sheet to await their companions.
- Cut the top half of the artichokes off. Remove the hard leaves from the outside until you get down to the softer ones towards the center. With your vegetable peeler take the top layer of skin off the stem. Cut the artichokes in half and add to the baking sheet.
- Mince the garlic and sprinkle it evenly across your veggies. Drizzle the whole lot with olive oil, salt and pepper. Pop it all in the oven and roast for about 15 minutes or until things start to develop the delicious brown crust we all know and love.
- With about 5 minutes left on your green guys fill your pot about 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add a couple capfuls of white vinegar. Crack your egg into the pot and cook for 2 minutes. Remove it from the water when it’s done and make sure to let the excess water drip off.
- Plate up your veggies and squeeze the juice of half a lemon over everything. Gently place the egg on top and grate on your cheese. Break the egg open when you’re ready to serve and marvel at your new favorite flavor combo.