Adding to our current obsession/cop out we humbly present another combination of fresh veggies from our CSA with poached eggs and cheese. This one is ridiculously simple and essentially takes only as long as you need to boil water. Arugula lends itself a little better to an egg accoutrement because of its peppery flavor but feel free to mix up the greenery.
Equipment Needed: Baking Sheet, 3 QT Pot, Chef’s Knife, Cutting Board, Vegetable Peeler, Microplane, Spider or Slotted Spoon, Colander
Serving Suggestion: Family Style
Suggested Wine Pairing: Pinot Noir, Vinho Verde, Pinot Grigio
Suggested Beer Pairing: Pale Ale, Heffeweissen, Pilsner
- 3 C arugula (about $4/10 oz)
- 1 egg ($2.79/dozen)
- Parmigiano Reggianno cheese (about $13.99/lb)
- 2 TBSP white vinegar ($1.99/32 oz)
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil, divided ($8.99/32 oz)
- Wash and drain your arugula and plate it up.
- Fill your pot about 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add a couple capfuls of white vinegar. Crack your egg into the pot and cook for 2 minutes. Remove it from the water with your spider when it’s done and make sure to let the excess water drip off.
- Gently place the egg on top of your greens and grate on your Parmigiano cheese. Drizzle with olive oil then add a pinch of salt and pepper just to keep things balanced. Break the egg, mix everything up and enjoy.