Our friends Josh and Nette have an annual Pre-Thanksgiving dinner where they feed an apartment full of friends way to much food for the mere price of a signature cocktail to share. In addition to The Gobbler we wanted to pay homage to some classic holiday flavors: cranberry, cinnamon and…bourbon. Make sure to let your guests know if you make a pre-mix, though. We whipped up a big batch and stored it in the cranberry juice bottle, ultimately exacerbating fellow party goers drunkenness as they kept trying to dilute their drinks but ended up pouring themselves double after double. Good, if slightly slurred, times were had by all.
Equipment Needed: Rocks Glass or Highball Glass, Shot Glass, Spoon or Cocktail Mixer
- 1 1/2 shots honey bourbon or whiskey (we used Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey with positive results)(about $25/750 ml)
- 3 shots cranberry juice ($3.99/64 oz)
- 1 TBSP whole cranberry sauce ($1.89/14 oz can)
- 1 cinnamon stick ($3.59/2 oz jar)
- 1 orange ($1.99/lb)
- Ground cinnamon ($3.59/3.5 oz jar)
- Ice (free)
- Black pepper
- Wash your orange off and slice it crosswise into thin discs. Remove any seeds if you need to and cut a slice from the center to the edge so you can set each disc on the rim of a glass.
- Add a couple of ice cubes to your glass and scoop in a healthy spoonful of cranberries.
- Pour in the bourbon and cranberry juice, toss in a cinnamon stick and give it a good stir.
- Garnish with a dash of ground cinnamon, a grind of fresh black pepper and an orange slice.